I used to be that girl that could “never imagine NOT drinking milk ever in a million years.” Seriously, I loved almost nothing more than a tall, cold, glass of 2%. But after I was diagnoses with endometriosis, dairy milk was one of the first things to leave my diet.
Almond milk is delicious, but there are additives and thickening agents added to many of the commercial brands available. So once I learned how easy it was to make my own non-dairy milk at home, it quickly became a new hobby of mine. In addition to my almond “milk” recipe, I recently tried making Lee From America’s coconut “milk” and LOVED it!
It is soooo simple you’re going to wonder why you are still buying your non-dairy milk from the store 😉
- 1 cup raw, organic almonds (try these)
- 5 cups filtered water
- Pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt (try this one)
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- 2 pitted dates (optional)
- Cover 1 cup of raw almonds with cold water, and place in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours
- Combine the soaked almonds with the rest of ingredients into a blender
- Blend on hight for 2 minutes, or until milky white and well blended
- Pour contents into cheesecloth and strain out almond pulp
- Pour into glass jar, chill, and enjoy!
Keeps in the fridge for 3-5 days. Shake before drinking- separation is natural.
I know what your thinking- what the heck do I do with all of this almond pulp? Save it! Here is a my recipe for no-bake energy bites using that delicious almond pulp.
All of the ingredients I used are available through Thrive Market, a wholesale online health food store. Their prices are exclusive to members and beat out any health food box store(they even guarantee it). They also ship straight to your door and only carry the highest quality products. I am in LOVE with this company and I know you will be too. You can try Thrive 30 days for free and get 25% off your first order + free shipping here!